In 2012, nearly 600 women from 43 states, Washington, D.C., Bermuda, Guam, and Jamaica attended the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders. More than 50 students received scholarships from the generous gifts made to the NCCWSL Scholarship Fund (#2504). Many others attended through direct support that you — AAUW’s members, branches, and states — provided.
In 2013 we expect even more interest in the conference, which means more need for financial assistance for young women who can’t otherwise afford to attend. To make the 2013 NCCWSL a success and to ensure that limited financial means are not a barrier to women who want to develop their leadership potential, we need your continued outstanding support this year.
View and listen to testimonials from some of our 2012 National NCCWSL Scholarship recipients. Also, read NCCWSL: Make A Connection to learn how to connect with students and schools, and the Support A Student Leader Program in a Box for ways to help send students to the conference, and make the 2013 NCCWSL our best conference ever!
Here are three great ways that you can support women student leaders and this unique, leadership-building conference:
- Pay the registration fee or transportation expenses for a college student from your community to attend the conference. Many individual members, branches, and states allocate funds to provide local scholarships. You may want to consider allocating funds to send a student from your community to the conference. When the students you are sponsoring register online, they should indicate that their payment will be made by check. You can then mail in a check made payable to AAUW. In the memo section, or on a separate note, write NCCWSL and identify the names of these students you are supporting. Please remember that because you are paying a fee for a specific individual that this payment is not tax-deductible.
- Make a tax-deductible gift to the NCCWSL Fund. Make checks payable to AAUW. In the memo section, please write NCCWSL Fund 2505. By donating to this fund, you help ensure a high-quality conference for every attendee.
- Make a tax-deductible gift to the NCCWSL Scholarship Fund. Make checks payable to AAUW. In the memo section, please write NCCWSL Fund 2504. The scholarship committee uses this money to provide scholarships to as many deserving women as possible. Preference is given to women who demonstrate financial need. Women who want to be leaders should not be left out of this important conference because they cannot afford to attend.
Please mail all checks and forms to
Attn: Finance Department
1111 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
Here are even more reasons you should support NCCWSL:
- Individuals, branches, and states that support the conference with contributions of $100 or more will be recognized on the NCCWSL website.
- Some students who receive conference scholarships make presentations about the conference for the branches or states that support them.
- AAUW keeps track of conference alumnae after the event. NCCWSL alumnae stay in touch with AAUW through Facebook. This is an engaging and exciting way to get young women involved with AAUW.
- Student Advisory Council members attend and serve as peer leaders at the conference.
- Just one year after graduating from college, there is already a pay gap between male and female college graduates working full time. Campus Action Project winners will attend the conference and will present projects that will address this gap and its connection to student debt.
- Elect Her—Campus Women Win student liaisons will attend the conference to present on their experience with the political training on their campuses.
- Eighty-seven percent of attendees who completed our 2012 survey said that they are more likely to take a leadership role on campus because of their experiences at the conference. Ninety-six percent said that they would be successful at leading others as a result of attending NCCWSL!
Contact email@example.com or Connect2AAUW at 800/326-AAUW with questions.
Thank you for your support of the 2012 student leadership conference!