5 Things You Should Bring to NCCWSL
#NCCWSL17 is just around the corner! As you start packing and preparing for the conference, here are five NCCWSL must-haves and a packing checklist to keep in mind.
For more guidance on what to expect, how to get there, and other important tidbits, check out our frequently asked questions.
1. Business casual attire and some casual wear
We recommend business casual clothing for the conference itself. For general conference sessions, you do not have to dress formally. Avoid jeans except for the more casual outings, like your add-on activity (excluding the Capitol Hill visit) or the Friday night out in Washington, D.C.
2. A nice outfit for the Women of Distinction Awards
For the Women of Distinction Awards, you’ll want to dress more formally. It’s a special evening, and you’ll be meeting and networking with the Women of Distinction.
3. Your best social media game
Make you mark! Use hashtag #NCCWSL17 and tag us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. We’re on Twitter at @NCCWSL and @AAUW and on Instagram at @aauwnational. When you arrive on campus, be on the lookout for our official NCCWSL Snapchat filter. Lastly, download the NCCWSL app to get a head start on personalizing your conference schedule. Will all the fun going on, luckily it will be easy to keep your phone charged thanks to the charging station at the Verizon Career Development Lounge at the Career Fair.
4. A game plan for the Graduate School Fair and Career Fair
You’ll meet tons of amazing people at our Graduate School Fair and Career Fair — including representatives from more than 80 schools and 25 employers — and we want you to be prepared. Bring your résumé and questions, and check out our list of exhibitors. Be sure to talk to as many schools and companies as possible — sometimes the right match is a place you never even considered. Don’t forget to upload you resume before you arrive through our ! Upload your résumé by 5 p.m. ET on Friday, June 2, to be entered to win a Lo and Sons bag.
5. Your (practiced) elevator speech
You never know who you’ll meet at NCCWSL. So know what you’re going to say to sell yourself or your project.
- Comfortable shoes (it’s a 10–15 minute walk between the dorms and the conference sessions)
- A college or university shirt so you can rep your school at our Wednesday night Welcome Reception!
- A casual outfit for your Friday night out in D.C.
- A nice outfit for the Women of Distinction Ceremony (dressier than workshop outfits)
- Light workout apparel for our “Yoga and Meditation” session on Saturday morning
For your stay
- Shower shoes
- Toiletries (anything you would pack to shower at school)
- A blanket if you get cold easily (bed linens, a light blanket, and a pillow will be provided)
For the Graduate School Fair and Career Fair
- Copies of your résumé
- Questions for exhibitors
- Business cards
For the weekend in general
- Extra cash (for meals, spending money, local transportation, and your night out in D.C.) — you can check the schedule to see what is covered by your registration fee.
- An umbrella
- Return travel information (on your phone or a hard copy) so that you know how to get home!
We can’t wait to meet you all at the University of Maryland, College Park. Travel safe, and we’ll see you at NCCWSL!
This post was written by NCCWSL Intern Regina Monge.