Plan to Go
Make sure the important dates are on your 2014 calendar.
February 3 = Early-bird registration opens.
March 13 = NCCWSL national scholarship applications are due.
April 10 = Early-bird registration closes.
May 15 = Regular registration closes.
Consider your budget
To attend NCCWSL, you need to cover registration, your travel and any incidentals and meals not included in the registration.
Seek funding support
To assist with registration or travel costs, contact your college/university, AAUW states/branches near you, or other local organizations. Here are tips on how to seek funding.
- Brainstorm a list of these potential sponsors. On your campus they may include the dean, or student affairs director, a student organization, student government association, multicultural affairs department, or a women’s center. In your community, this may include AAUW states/branches and local community groups.
- Contact your future sponsor/s to make a funding request. Your request may also lay the groundwork for funding for women students in the future.
- Make the ask. Download “Empower Me to Be…!” to provide to your potential sponsors about the conference with your ask. Tell them how much you need, and what the costs are for based on your budget.
- Offer to speak about your experience at a meeting or event after the conference. For example, many students give presentations about their particular conference highlights, and what they learned by attending NCCWSL, at AAUW state/branch meetings.
- If one sponsor cannot give you the entire amount you need, check with another potential sponsor. You may get some funding from one source and additional funding from another.
- Follow up with your sponsors after the conference. Send them thank you notes or letters, postcards, photos and videos!
NCCWSL national scholarships
The application process is now closed. The NCCWSL Committee thanks all of you who submitted an application. You will be contacted on Monday, March 31 regarding your status.
AAUW awards need-based NCCWSL national scholarships to students to attend the conference. If you are awarded, it covers your NCCWSL registration.
This includes conference programming, scheduled meals, and housing for the nights of Thursday, June 5 and Friday, June 6. The scholarship also covers an optional pre-conference activity, and/or additional housing for the nights of Wednesday, June 4 and/or Saturday, June 7. Scholarships do not cover travel or other additional expenses.
NCCWSL national scholarships are only available to students who are not receiving registration funding from another source. (Though we do recommend you ask other sources to help pay for travel) You must register as an individual registrant only to apply for the scholarship.
If you do not receive a scholarship, you will still receive the NCCWSL early-bird registration rate. You can also cancel without paying a cancellation fee.
Save $50 by registering early.
You’ll save $50 if you register by the early-bird deadline of April 10.
Book your travel in advance.
Use our travel information to book your travel in advance to save on transportation costs.
Save 15 percent off a group registration of four or more by being an institutional member.
One of the many benefits of your school being an AAUW C/U partner member or NASPA member is that you get a 15 percent discount off of a group registration of four or more attendees. Get a group of students from your school to attend and you save!
Residential and Commuter Registration
Residential registration includes
Registrants receive housing for two nights (Thursday, June 5, and Friday, June 6) in the University of Maryland residence halls. Additional nights can be purchased for Wednesday, June 4, and/or Saturday, June 7, for an additional $60 per night.
Opening session, group networking, Women of Distinction Awards ceremony and reception, pizza and movie night, featured speakers, graduate school and career fairs, workshops, Friday night in D.C., and closing session
Lunch and dinner on Thursday, June 5; breakfast and lunch on Friday, June 6; breakfast on Saturday, June 7
NCCWSL provides free bus transportation Friday night (7 p.m.–midnight) for attendees to visit Washington, D.C., and free buses Saturday after the conference to and from the Greenbelt metro station (noon–5 p.m.).
Commuter registration includes
All of the above except housing